2/8/2011 - Chrome 17 is live, no more minimum version!
Chrome 17 just went to the stable channel, so as promised, I'm removing the
minimum version requirement -- the version of the extension with no minimum
version is 1.0.11. You can get the latest version 1.0.11 here.
I've been working on another extension that I hope to launch very shortly,
but I have an outstanding list of feature requests I hope to get to in the
- Generate the list of "default" user-agents from a remote site, so it can
contain a very long list of many possible user-agents.
- Generate (anonymous and opt-in) statistics about how often different
user-agents are spoofed. (thanks Tanase!)
Thanks to everyone for your patience, feedback, and support, and I hope the
extension makes your life a little bit easier!
1/13/2011 - Quick Note about minimum version
Some of you have tried installing the extension from the Chrome Web Store, only to get a message like this:
There was a problem adding the item to Chrome. Please refresh the page and try again.
It's a pretty cryptic message, for sure. What it usually means is You are not running the minimum version of Chrome necessary to use the extension -- the minimum version is Chrome 17.x
You can check what version you are running by going to the Wrench -> About Google Chrome, or navigating to "about:version".
If you are on Chrome 16 or earlier, you have a couple of options:
- Wait until Chrome 17 is on the stable channel and you will get automatically updated sometime in early February.
- Switch to the "beta Channel" where you get newer releases of Chrome earlier. More information about the beta channel is here.
- Download the "Chrome canary", which you can install alongside your current Chrome without changing channels. More info about the canary is here.
Once Chrome 17 is pushed out to the stable channel, I'm going to remove the minimum version tag, so anyone will be able to install.
Of course, if you are seeing this error message and you are already on Chrome 17, send me a message on Google+. Thanks!
12/5/2011 - Quick updates
A couple of quick updates for everyone:
- Thank you for all of the great feedback. I've made a couple of enhancements and I'm currently doing some more refactoring to include the latest feature requests. If you have more requests, please post them on Google+ so I don't lose them :)
- The spoofer will be back in the Chrome web store shortly! For most of you, this means you can count on auto-updates coming soon. Stay tuned for details.
- Some have asked for the old version (1.0.3) for the time being. If you really want the old version, you can download it here. If you want the latest version, see the post below.
10/8/2011 - New, experimental version available!
A new version of the User-agent Switcher for Chrome is now available. This
version uses new APIs to modify HTTP headers, so it should be far more effective
than the versions previously available.
Also, several new useful user-agents have been added by default, including those of
However, it is only available here, as the Chrome web store does not allow extensions
that use experimental methods.
To try out this extension:
- You have to be running Chrome 14.x or later, otherwise the extension won't install. Navigate to "about:version" to make sure.
- You probably want to uninstall the other spoofer extension if you have it installed
- Enable experimental extension APIs by navigating to "about:flags" and enabling "Experimental Extension APIs". You will need to restart the browser.
- Download the experimental version here
- This thing won't auto-update, you'll probably want to install via the Chrome Web Store once I post this version up there.
- Navigate to your favorite user-agent detection site and try it out. After you switch user-agents, hit refresh.
Please let me know what you think, and let me know if you find any weird behavior!
4/2/2010 - The user-agent switcher for Chrome 1.0.3 Released
A new version of the user-agent switcher for Chrome is available for download. You may notice the name changed; the previous name was trademarked.
If you already have the extension installed, you should be updated automatically. Sorry for any inconvenience
2/21/2010 - The user-agent switcher for Chrome 1.0.1 Released
A new version of the user-agent switcher for Chrome is available for download. This version fixes issues with Chrome's dev channel, which changed behavior of JSON.parse(). If you
already have the extension installed, you should be updated automatically.
Thanks for your feedback!! Next on my list is allowing users to edit their own list of user-agent strings!
The User-Agent Switcher for Chrome 1.0.0 Released
The very first version of the User-Agent Switcher for Chrome is now available for download.
Please provide your feedback on the extension gallery page.